With only one day, you can still enjoy a challenging trek, a natural swimming pool and see a spectacular cave. Hang Tien, also known as Fairy Cave has an enormous entrance, large calcite formations and unusual rock features.
- Biggest dry cave
- Fascinating rocky terrains
- Jungle trekking
- Spectacular formations
- Amazing picnic lunch
- Gorgeous natural pool
BRIEFING: PHONG NHA - TAN HOA - OXALIS OFFICE
Duration: 1 day tour
Availability: Dec to mid-Sep Every Mon, Wed, Fri and Sun
Difficulty: Level 3 - Moderate
Group size: 2-16 people; 16+ years old
Distance: 6km trekking; 1.5km caving; 350m elevation gain; 10m ladder climb
Phong Nha - Tan Hoa - Safety BriefingYou will be picked up from your hotel in Phong Nha between 07:30 - 08:00 AM, for a 1 hour drive to Oxalis office in Tan Hoa, located 70 km from Phong Nha. Here you will have a tour briefing and prepare for the tour.
TAN HOA - HANG TIEN 1
The trek starts off with a steep uphill section, leading into the jungle.
Some rocky sections at the top, and then a similarly steep descent before the trail levels off and you enter the valley. Turning west the trail is a large jumble of rocks to pick your way over, with the help and direction of the guide and safety team. The huge entrance is at the head of the valley. Enjoy some snacks before starting the cave exploration. As you enter the cave you will appreciate the full size of the passage. Plants and algae cover many of the calcite formations. Further into the cave you will see many unusual cave features such as a ceiling dome, and multiple layers of rock, giving the walls a stripy appearance. A 10m ladder will be climbed up with a safety rope, and a short distance later you will see the end of the cave, an opening into the jungle.
TAN HOA - PHONG NHA
Retrace the journey back to the entrance, down the rocky valley and stop for lunch and a swim in the beautiful natural spring.
Refreshed, it’s then time for the big hill back up and down to the road for the pickup and return to the office for a shower. Transfer to Phong Nha arriving around 7pm
Adventure Level 3 · Moderate
- 1 - 3 day tour
- Moderate trekking (very rocky terrain for Tien tours)
- 8-22km of trekking including 3-5km of caving
- Total elevation gain: 350-450m
- Swimming in caves (Wild Tu Lan 50-150m)
- River crossings
Frequently Asked Questions
What if I am a solo traveler, can I join a group?
Solo travelers are most welcome and make up a large percentage of most groups.
Why do I have to sign your Release Form?
We require customers to sign our Release Form to confirm they accept this is an adventure tour and they have to follow our guide’s instructions and safety rules. Customers also accept they have some responsibilities for their own safety.
I often trek with sandals and they work well. Can I wear them on this tour?
With diversified terrain and from our experiences, sandals are not recommended on our tours. We highly suggest you prepare the trekking boots/shoes which cover all your feet and have good gripping to do the tours, as the terrain is rocky, slippery and sometimes muddy.
WE WILL PROVIDE
- Caving & safety gear: caving helmet, caving headlight, gloves
- Basic canvas trekking boots (only if you do not have your own pair) sizes 36 – 46
- Water and picnic lunch
- Professional English-speaking tour guide and guide safety assistant
- Porter to prepare meals and pump water
- Shared dry box for phones and small cameras (limited availability for larger cameras)
- Water filter and purifier (used only by guide and porters)
- Eco-friendly compost toilet using western toilet seat at lunch site
- First Aid Kit and Medical Rescue Equipment (application by guides and porters only)
- Dry box is prepared in case of high water level
- Secure Storage Facility at Oxalis Headquarters to store any luggage you will not be taking on the trek
YOU WILL NEED TO BRING
- 1 long (easy to dry) pants and 1 long sleeved shirt to wear during the trek (quick dry)
- 1 pair of trekking boots/shoes – difficult terrain, good footwear necessary
- 1 change of clothes for after the tour
- 1 pair of calf-length densely woven socks (not ankle socks!)
- Personal items: mosquito repellent, sunglasses, hat, camera
- This tour is operated from Dec to mid-Sep (closed from mid-Sep to Nov)
- The days in bold are still available
Whether you prefer long treks, camping in a cave, sleeping under the stars in the jungle, swimming underground in river caves, explore the huge dry caves or just taking an exploratory day trip, Oxalis Adventure Tours can provide the right amount of adventure just for you.