A true underground adventure to visit two spectacular river caves of the National Park. Nuoc Nut Cave is a large cave with both dry and river passages with clear blue pools. Hang Va is a superb cave with underground pools and contains rare tower cone formations that you will need harnesses and ropes to enter this section.
- Spectacular river caves
- Wading through underground water
- Thrilling rope works
- Pure natural pool in cave
- Unique formations.
- Jungle camping
Duration: 2 day tour
Availability: Jan to Aug 5 tours/week.
Difficulty: Level 4 - Challenging
Group size: 2-10 people; 16+ years old
Distance: 4km trekking; 7km caving; 150m elevation gain; 20m rope traverse
BRIEFING: PHONG NHA - OXALIS OFFICE
PHONG NHA - NUOC NUT CAVE - HANG VA JUNGLE CAMP
The route starts with a short steep drop down from the road to the valley floor.
A nice easy half hour’s trek in the forest brings you to a dry rocky stream bed. Follow the rocky path carefully to climb down over boulders to Nuoc Nut Cave entrance. Enjoy a picnic lunch and then with your caving light and helmet enter into the darkness. Initially quite small the cave soon opens up into impressive dimensions. Plenty of stalactites and stalagmites can be seen on the way. After a rocky section you will meet the underground river. Follow this to the point it enters the sump, or water filled passage. Turn around and head back to the surface. A short steep rocky hill and descent will bring you to the campsite*. Enjoy dinner served by your team, and the experience of a night deep in the jungle.
HANG VA CAVE - PHONG NHA
The following morning you will have a safety briefing on how to use the harnesses and ropes.
You will then descend the steep rocky entrance using this equipment. Hang Va is a beautiful stream cave, where you will experience narrow passages, rocky climbs and some deep pools with very nice opportunities for photography. After exploring the river passage you will use your harnesses and traverse across to the high level passage using the ropes. Follow the path up into this large dry passage. Notice the huge gour dams you climb over to finally reach the amazing tower cone formations. As yet no one knows exactly how these have formed. Return the same way to camp for lunch. Trek out through the jungle over a rocky hill to another stream valley, and back to the road. Enjoy a cold drink. Transfer to Phong Nha arriving around 05:00 PM.
Adventure Level 4 · Challenging
- 2 - 3 day tour
- Moderate trekking - very rocky terrain
- 10-22km of trekking including 3-5km of caving
- Total elevation gain: 200m for 2 days, 900m for 3 days
- River crossings
- Swimming in caves (100m)
- 20m traverse using ropes and harnesses (Hang Va with instruction and supervision)
Frequently Asked Questions
What if I am a solo traveler, can I join a group?
Solo travelers are most welcome and make up a large percentage of most groups.
Why do I have to sign your Release Form?
We require customers to sign our Release Form to confirm they accept this is an adventure tour and they have to follow our guide’s instructions and safety rules. Customers also accept they have some responsibilities for their own safety.
Which months of the year do you run this tour, and which are the best months to go?
You can book the tour which departs from February to August. That is also the best time to join in the discovery and enjoy it at its best.
WE WILL PROVIDE
- Camping gear: tent, camp light, sleeping bag, mattresses, pillow
- Caving & safety gear: caving helmet, caving headlight, gloves
- Semi dry bag (for clothing and personal belongings excl. electronics) for inside your backpack
- Meals: picnic lunches, breakfast (day 2), dinner (day 1)
- Basic canvas trekking boots (only if you do not have your own pair) sizes 36 – 46
- Professional English-speaking tour guide and guide safety assistant
- Porter team to carry all camping gear and prepare all meals
- Shared dry box for phones and small cameras (limited availability for larger cameras)
- Water filter and purifier (used only by guide and porters)
- Basic camping facilities with eco-friendly compost toilet using western toilet seat
- First Aid Kit and Medical Rescue Equipment (application by guides and porters only)
YOU WILL NEED TO BRING
- 1 long (easy to dry) pants and 1 long sleeved shirt to wear during the trek (quick dry)
- 1 pair of shorts and t-shirt to wear at campsite plus your swim suit.
- 1 pair of trekking boots/shoes – difficult terrain, good footwear necessary
- 1 pair of flip flop (sandals) for campsite
- 1 small towel
- 1 backpack to hold personal items
- 2 pair of calf length densely woven socks (not ankle socks!)
- 1 change of clothes for after the tour
- 1 pair of calf-length densely woven socks (not ankle socks!)
- 1 set of camp clothes (shorts are okay for around camp; please bring a fleece in winter)
- Personal items:mosquito repellent, sunscreen, sunglasses, hat, camera, underwears, toiletries
- This tour is operated from Jan to Aug (closed from Sep to Dec).
- The days in bold are still available
Whether you prefer long treks, camping in a cave, sleeping under the stars in the jungle, swimming underground in river caves, explore the huge dry caves or just taking an exploratory day trip, Oxalis Adventure Tours can provide the right amount of adventure just for you.